Tweet >Huge locker room turmoil early in the season: Marcus Smart said he got 12-year aged whiskey in the Secret Santa exchange, but then it got stolen from him and he ended up with a karaoke set.
Context >Robert Williams said the Celtics had a team dinner and Secret Santa gift exchange last night to celebrate New Years.
Update >Brad Stevens said he gave away the gift he received in the Secret Santa exchange. So he ended up with nothing.
Anyways ... they left me alone after that.
I just found an old picture of me holding my two favourite things: A bottle of Fireball and a pack of smokes. That was 90% of my diet right there (the other 10% was anything greasy). How the times have changed. I'm 6.5 years off the booze, but believe me when I say I used to be a mess. I was the girl with the shakes who would be at the liquor store right when it opened at 9am...then lie to the person at the register by saying I was always in there because I was always in charge of the booze for parties, or that I had the shakes because I was quitting smoking. I didn't want to be judged (I'm sure I wasn't fooling anyone though).
Ever wake up in the morning wanting alcohol but you drank every last drop (or so you thought)? There were mornings where I was so desperate that would grab all the empty bottles of Fireball lying around my apartment (there were usually lots since I rarely took down recycling back then) and pour whatever teensy amount was lingering at the bottom of them into a shot glass. Normally I would be able to muster up about an ounce...sometimes slightly more or less. And I would also use this process with the bags of wine inside the boxed wine I would have lying around. I would squeeze out every last drop from the empty bags into a glass. It was something to tie me over til the liquor stores opened.
I also used to carry vodka in my purse at all times. I would always buy a bottle of Powerade on my way to work, empty half of it into the bathroom sink or toilet when I got there, and filled the other half with vodka. I would drink that throughout the day, then hit the wine and Fireball at night til I passed out. It breaks my heart when I think about how much control alcohol had over me. I wore clothes with holes in them because I didn't care. I would wake up surrounded by empty bottles, overflowing ashtrays and garbage. My couch had cigarette burns in it. I had a horrible fruit fly problem. And I was so used to feeling like shit that I completely accepted it and normalized to it. How sad.😔
Maybe what I'm trying to say is that just because you're in deep, it absolutely does not mean you are a lost cause. You can get out. And you don't have to wait til you hit rock bottom to make a change either. I did. I was in the hospital for eight days with severe liver damage and unsure of my fate. It was horrible. I was so far gone into my dependency that I literally almost died for alcohol. I'm actually a little teary-eyed as I write that because, well,... keep reading on reddit ➡
I want to relate something a family friend told me around this time last year. He's an older gentleman and a whiskey lover. He makes good money and can always afford the priciest and highest ranked whiskies. About a year ago, he was ice fishing for the first time with some of his close friends. It was bitterly cold and the catchings were slim. All they had to drink was a mediocre bottle of whiskey to share amongst themselves. He doesn't even remember the name of the whiskey, it was a random choice at a local liquor store. To this day, he says that's the best whiskey he's ever had.
I just wanted to remind everyone here that it doesn't need to be top shelf whiskey to enjoy it, as long as it's thoroughly enjoyed. Especially in the times today, when we don't get to see friends or family as often, or when money is tight, I'd wager it's those memories of the stories like the one I told--with all their weird nostalgia and other feelings--that get us through.
Cheers. Happy holidays, friends. Stay warm!
To the mods: sorry if this is against a rule, but it seemed fitting for the season.