Scallion Hua Juan! They're Chinese steamed flower buns - quite soft but still have a slight bite, savoury and flavoured with chopped scallions reddit.com/gallery/lzzzw0
[Homemade] Hua Juan (Chinese steamed buns with scallions)
The Kenji eggs, with scallions and chili crisp
Simple ramen dinner - miso ramen, fish balls and a gooey soft boiled egg with scallions and cilantro
My dad's perfectly boiled White Cut Chicken (白切鸡) & Ginger Scallion Sauce (姜葱酱)! AKA Poached Whole Chicken or Bak Chit Gai, it's a simple, traditional, and almost-required dish for Lunar New Year, tied with many auspicious sayings and superstitions.
There's a saying in Chinese that goes something like, "No chicken, no banquet." This dish is steeped in tradition and good luck, and I'm extremely grateful to get to document how my dad does it and to share it with our community :)
This post will cover:
- How to boil the perfect, juicy White Cut Chicken
- How to make my dad’s addictive Ginger Scallion sauce
- The traditional Chinese way to carve and plate a chicken from head to toe
- The various Chinese idioms / meanings tied to whole chicken
Here are a few pictures of what the recipes look like if you want a visual :)
In Chinese tradition, chicken is intertwined with many sayings and superstitions of good fortune, wealth, and resilience.
Even though my parents didn't have much meat growing up in China, this is one of the dishes my parents always ate on Lunar New Year's eve and other festivities.
Especially with auspicious foods, Chinese superstition involves a lot of creative word-play. The word for chicken, gāi in Cantonese and jī in Mandarin, sounds like several words of good fortune.
Just to name a few phrases that my parents shared with us:
- hóu sai gaai 好世界 - A Cantonese phrase that roughly translates to good world, good life.
- dàjídàlì 大吉大利 - A Mandarin phrase that roughly translates to great luck, great profit.
- yáuh tàuh yáuh méih 有头有尾 - A Cantonese phrase that literally translates to: "has a head, has a tail." It means "good beginning, good ending." This is one of the reasons why it's important to make a whole chicken for Lunar New Year.
- jáau pàh jáau wàh 抓扒抓鏵 - A Toisanese phrase, related to eating the chicken legs, that roughly means "face all challenges with persistence."
So, basically, eat a whole chicken if you want to live. (jk)
Using a Proper Knife
The most intricate part of this recipe is the last step, where we carve up the chicken into pieces we can easily grab with a chopstick.
My dad has two knives - a "chef's knife", meant for vegetables and boneless meats, and a heavy duty cleaver, meant for occasions like this.
It's a lot harder to do this without a proper cleaver, so here are a few options you can look up:
- Dexter Russell Heavy Duty Cleaver
- [The same brand (not same model) as my dad's 40 year-old cleaver](https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?ut_sk=1.XR79XxYXt6sDAC8yCxOJl3U5_21380790_1609898344895.Copy.1&id=630231282048&detailSharePosition=interactBar&sourceType=item&suid=6C603
... keep reading on reddit ➡
[homemade] Tonkotsu Ramen with miso, dark soy, and chili oil. Topped with sous vide chashu pork belly, marinated soft boiled eggs, and scallions!
[Homemade] Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Week 9: Korean - Scallion Dutch Baby with Gochujang Roasted Cauliflower
Some eggs topped with scallions, and a drizzle of soy sauce over white rice for a simple breakfast 🍳
Creamy Tater Tot Casserole.This Tater Tot Casserole is creamy, cheesy with tender potatoes and scallions. This side dish goes great with any meal. It's easy to make and only takes minutes to put together with just a few ingredients! Recipe in the comments below.
Easy Creamy Tater Tot Casserole. This Tater Tot Casserole is creamy, cheesy with tender potatoes and scallions. This side dish goes great with any meal. It's easy to make and only takes minutes to put together with just a few ingredients!
Click on the link just to see how easy this is to make. Easy Creamy Tater Tot Casserole.
• Tater Tots - 1 pound bag - defrosted
• Cream of Mushroom Soup - 1 10.5 ounce can
• Milk - 10.5 ounces
• Sour Cream - 3/4 of a cup
• Cream Cheese - 1/3 of a cup
• Scallions - 3 -4 stalks
• Cheddar Cheese - 1 8 ounce bag
• Garlic Powder - 1 Tablespoon
• Salt - 1 teaspoon
• Pepper - 1/2 of a teaspoon
• Step 1 - Start by making the cream sauce. In a large bowl, empty a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup. Fill that same can to the top with milk and add it to the bowl. Add the Sour Cream, Cream Cheese, Salt Pepper and Garlic Powder. Whisk to combine.
• Step 2 - Finely chop your scallions and add them to the bowl. Mix well.
• Step 3 - In a 9x13 baking dish, add your Tater Tots and pour the cream sauce over the top. Mix the Tater Tots with the sauce until well coated. Flatten the top.
• Step 4 - Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Cover with tin foil and place in the oven and bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Enjoy
Homemade Hua Juan - steamed chinese flower buns flavoured with scallions (similar to bao buns)
It ain’t much, but it was definitely honest work. (Attempted) tamagoyaki with scallions, roasted some veggies in soy sauce and a little butter, Korean spicy pork belly with onions.
Shanghai scallion oil noodles topped w/ a fried egg 🍳 (my personal preference is always to also add pickled Chinese long beans stir fried with ground pork and a thick, I mean THICK, piece of pork belly) reddit.com/gallery/lsiif7
Thai inspired nourish bowl with peanut dressing: Roast sweet potato, fresh purple cabbage, red bell pepper, scallion, edamame, and avocado. All over oat groats. Also added some smoky tempeh bacon pieces. So good!
[Homemade] Bacon scallion milk bread
葱油花卷! Hua Juan - Steamed scallion flower rolls
Vegan Cream Cheese & Scallion Wontons
Lunar near year dinner - steamed fish （清蒸鱼）, ginger scallion crabs （姜葱炒蟹）, fish fillet in chili oil （香辣鱼片）, mapo tofu （麻婆豆腐）, sweet and sour pork （锅包肉）
String bean chicken with rice and scallion pancakes
Scallion Hua Juan! They're Chinese steamed flower buns (like bao buns but with scallions rolled into them)
Megan Thee Scallion Didn’t Win Record of the Year???
My 4th attempt at a shoyu but definitely my favourite so far. Fried cabbage, scallions, nori, ginger/garlic/scallion oil toppings. Nice and light but satisfying.
made Chinese Hua Juan (they're like steamed bao buns with scallions rolled into them)
Homemade Tonkotsu Ramen with dark soy, chili oil, and miso. Topped with sous vide chashu pork belly, marinated soft boiled eggs, and scallions.
Highly recommend turning your scallions into a little houseplant!
Kenji’s Tonkatsu Ramen topped with sous vide chashu pork belly, marinated soft boiled eggs, and scallions. Assistance by my aptly named cat, Miso. reddit.com/gallery/m5mmb7
Crispy Buffalo-Spiced Chicken with Blue Cheese Sauce, Scallion Mashed Potatoes & Roasted Carrots
Are green onions the same as scallions?
I always thought they were. Is there a certain time you should refer to them as one over the other? Or are they not the same?
Homemade Turkey Havarti Scallion Frittata Casserole by Chef Boy RB
Buffalo chickpea quesadilla with Mexican cheez sauce: Sauteed onions, chickpeas mashed w cumin, coriander, ancho chili powder, Frank's buffalo sauce, vegan butter, and scallions. Cheez sauce: Cashews soaked overnight, vegan yogurt, cumin, salsa, smoked paprika, and nutrional yeast
[pro/chef] gochugang roasted cauliflower • cast iron seared octopus • cilantro oil • radish • scallion
Homemade wintermelon soup cooked in the gourd + steamed fish with ginger, scallion, and soy. Feels so traditional.
My Trader Joe’s plant collection! Alocasia, Calla Lily, Calla Lily, Cyclamen, and Calathea. I’m also regrowing some scallions between the Calla Lily’s.
Vegan Cream Cheese & Scallion Wontons
[Homemade] Asian superbowl snacks. Scallion pancakes, Korean fried chicken wings, potstickers, fried shrimp.
caramelized pork belly, crispy shallots, scallions, sous vide egg yolk, risotto
Steamed buns filled with Sous vide short-rib with mayonnaise and scallions
[Homemade] Shanghai Scallion Oil Noodles Topped with a Fried Egg
Brown rice noodles in a sweet and spicy broth with seaweed, scallions and a soft boiled egg.
[homemade] 2 day char siu brined egg, yuzu mayo, teriyaki fried spam, scallion, daikon